Inside: how to make a festive steampunk Christmas tree canvas to decorate your home
If you're a steampunk fan then you would love this steampunk project. How to make a steampunk Christmas tree canvas to decorate your walls or as a special gift. All you need to "steampunk" your tree is to make it out of metal and industrial looking embellishments.
THE BASICS OF A STEAMPUNK CANVAS
Making a steampunk project requires a few basics:
- Making the right background for the canvas: the background needs to complement the steampunk look so it can be with industrial colors, pattern or image. If you use a pattern paper with pink flowers for such a canvas it will not complement your canvas.
- Paint or add the right colors: the best colors for a steampunk project are the colors of metals, rust and oxidation or corrosion.
- Using the right elements: you can make a steampunk canvas with any subject as long as you use the right embellishments like: cogwheels, metal parts, clock parts, hinges etc.
HOW TO MAKE A STEAMPUNK CHRISTMAS TREE
The process of making a DIY steampunk Christmas tree is simple:
- Use any size of canvas you want. I used a 8x8 canvas and didn't even prime it with gesso.
- Create the background from old book pages. Ink all the edges with brown and black distress inks.
- Add large metal pieces to create the base of the tree. Use gradually smaller pieces to create the triangle shape of a Christmas tree.
- Add smaller pieces as ornaments on the tree.
- For a final touch add metal squares with twine as gifts.
- Add a title.
Making this steampunk Christmas tree idea is not only original, it is unique as a gift or a holiday decoration for your home.
Here is the full step by step video tutorial to make this canvas:
WHERE TO GET MATERIALS FOR A STEAMPUNK CHRISTMAS TREE CANVAS
My favorite ways of getting materials for my steampunk projects are:
- Going to my local watchmaker. They always have parts they don't need.
- Shopping at Home depot and DIY stores.
- Gathering scraps from my mechanic.
- Visiting the craft store.
Here are a few of my favorite items:
If you are looking for more steampunk project ideas here are a few tutorials:
Sharing is caring - PIN IT!
Have fun creating!