Inside: how to make a mixed media collage on a canvas
I have a drawer full of items that I don't even know how to call them. In this drawer you can find cogwheels and gears, metal parts and junk, chipboard and wooden pieces and all kind of miscellaneous objects. I call it my drawer of treasures because it's full of amazing things I can use for mixed media collage, canvases and other projects.
WHAT IS MIXED MEDIA COLLAGE
In visual art, mixed media describes artwork in which more than one medium or material has been employed. Assemblages and collages are two common examples of art using different media that will make use of different materials including cloth, paper, wood and found objects.
HOW TO MAKE A MIXED MEDIA COLLAGE
A mixed media collage can be created in many different ways. However there are a few fundamentals to every project:
- Start with the background of the project and add color, pattern and texture.
- Combine different objects to create an interesting assemblage of items.
- Cluster the objects in one or more groups to ancor them to the surface.
- Add items with different materials like paper, metal, plastic an fabric.
- Layer the elements to create depth and extra texture.
THE CREATIVE PROCESS
- Cover a canvas with gesso or use a covered canvas.
- Create the silhouette of the face:
- Print a side portrait of a face, cut around the image and flip over to use the white side of the paper.
- Cut a the portrait out of a magazine, trace it to a paper and then cut it out.
- Fill the face with different elements like paper, chipboard shapes, metal parts and more.
- Cover canvas with color - you can use sprays or acrylic paints.
- Attach face shape to the canvas.
- To finish canvas add more elements and text.
Here's the step by step tutorial to create this art project:
If you're new to mixed media and want to learn how to start making mixed media projects first take the free mini class: 4 Essentials You Need to Know About Mixed Media.
For more collage and assemblage mixed media canvases check out these video tutorials:
Sharing is caring - PIN IT!
Have fun creating!