Inside: great hacks to make amazing mini albums you need to know and try!
If you're a paper crafter and you want to showcase your photos and document your memories you can make 12x12 scrapbook pages or mini albums. However sometimes those large empty scrapbook pages are a little intimidating and time consuming to create so a smaller mini album is the perfect way to achieve the same goals in less time and more fun!
Mini albums come in all sizes, with 8”x8” and 6”x6” being the most popular. They often have all their pages in the album about a specific person, place, event or occasion. There’s often a thread of continuity in terms of design: The papers match the album or the scrapper uses the same alphabet stickers throughout.
WHY MAKE MINI ALBUMS
Overwhelmed by the thought of devoting time, money and energy to a giant scrapbook, more and more people are starting small. Here’s why:
1. IT'S MANAGEABLE
I like the idea of a project with a definite beginning and end. My family album will never be complete—and that’s okay, but I really like the idea of creating one album that’s focused on a certain theme, like my son’s first year of school, my father’s heritage photos, or a vacation.
2. EASIER PHOTO ORGANIZATION
Keeping photos and memories organized is a huge reason for themed mini books. I take most of my photos at events, occasions or trips. It just makes more sense to scrapbook the photos the same way I take them. If I want to show people photos of my vacation, I can pull out a single album dedicated to that trip instead of flipping through a big chronological book.
3. LESS TIME CONSUMING
Some people may not be overwhelmed by a large scrapbook they just don’t have enough time. A mini album can be completed in one or two sittings. It can be done in a crop night, a class or with some friends.
4. DESIGN FREEDOM AND CONTINUITY
Mini albums are much easier to create in designing terms. You can use matching papers and embellishments and create a design “language” to coincide with your theme. Another advantage is you can go wild with shapes and page sizes as well as page materials because you are not constricted by a page protector or the width of the album's cover.
5. NOT ENOUGH PHOTOS
When you don't have very many photos, or a lot of memories recorded creating a 12x12 album is going to be a very short book! In a big format the photos would look smaller and sparser. Putting the photos into a smaller sized album fit the photos better in proportion.
In the state of the current economy buying lots of supplies for a large scrapbook can be too expensive. However when you create a mini album you can create a beautiful project for less money, because working with small pages allow you to use your stash more efficiently. You can use scraps of paper, ribbons and embellishments to create your own decorations for your mini album.
Small in size, mini albums are more portable and easily stored. No need for huge bookcases that will hold 12″ tall albums. You can also take them with you to show off your photos and creative skills!
8. GREAT AS GIFTS
Mini albums make great gifts for a co-worker, friends or family. You can create the mini album with photos or design empty pages living spaces for the photos to be added later
HOW TO MAKE MINI ALBUMS
If you look online your head will spin from all the different possibilities and designs of mini albums. The reason for that is that usually a mini album is created from scratch including the pages and the binding. That means you can make your mini albums as small or big as you want, decide the number of pages and the spaces between them and the amount and size of embellishments and interactive mechanisms in them.
However, all mini albums have a few common elements and the same working process:
- READY MADE OR HANDMADE: first you need to pick the type of your mini album. Do you want to work on a ready made album or create it from scratch.
- SIZE: if you're making your own mini album then the next step is to decide the size of the mini album. It can be as small as a size of a tag or as large as a 10" x 10" square.
- SHAPE: next think about the shape of the mini album. It can be in the popular square or rectangle shape or in a more unusual shape like a circle or a heart.
- BINDING: decide on a binding method. Binding methods can range from rings, hidden hinge, spiral or sewing.
- PHOTOS: pick and organize the photos for your mini album. Divide your photos into little stories within the general theme of the project. For example: days or places you visited on your vacation, people and events on your dad's birthday etc.
- PAGES: according to the little stories you organized decide the number of pages you need to make. A page can have one or more photos.
- DESIGN: pick your colors and papers and then your embellishments. If you plan to make your own embellishments now is the time to pick the materials for those as well.
- EXTRA ELEMENTS: do you want to have interactive elements in your mini album? Plan which elements you want and on what pages to put them. Usually the best pages to use interactive elements is where you have lots of photos and you need more space for them or for journaling.
3 STEPS TO MAKE MINI ALBUMS
All mini albums have the same work process. Here's what you need to do:
1. BUILD THE COVER
Create the cover from chipboard or other material including the binding mechanism. If you bind your mini album with one ring and don't need a chipboard cover you can skip the first step and start with your pages. Just make one of the pages an opening page for the font.
2. CREATE THE PAGES
Cut cardstock into the desirable size and design your pages. This is when you also create all the interactive mechanisms and cover the pages with pattern paper if needed.
Create your mini album: attach the pages to the binding, add the photos and embellish both the pages and cover.
HACKS TO MAKE AMAZING MINI ALBUMS
In order to take your mini albums to the next level and make them even more special and beautiful here are a few ideas:
ODD SHAPED MINI ALBUMS
Creating a mini album with an odd shape other than a square or a rectangle is a great way to upgrade your mini album and make it more interesting.
NON PAPER MINI ALBUMS
Using other materials for your mini albums will add different texture and a unique effect to every mini album you create.
MAKE YOUR OWN EMBELLISHMENTS
Instead of using the traditional stickers and embellishments on your mini album create your own custom made embellishments.
INTERACTIVE MINI ALBUMS
Adding interactive elements to a mini album will make it look unique, professional and much more complex. It will not only add more space for photos and journaling but it'll create a much more interesting and special experience for those who look at it or receive it.
MINI ALBUMS IN A BOX
Building a mini album inside a box creates a whole look of a set and takes your mini album to the next level with a complete look.
Leave me a comment telling me what was the last mini album you created!
SAVE it for later - PIN IT!
Have fun creating!