Inside: how to make an altered Halloween spell book cover
I think the most fun projects I ever made were made for Halloween. I love all the creepy spooky stuff you get to add to everything and even if I don't celebrate this holiday (like me, because I don't in a country where this holiday is celebrated) it's still fun. This altered Halloween spell book takes a little time to create and it will defenitely upgrade your spooky book shelf!.
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE THE HALLOWEEN SPELL BOOK
To create the Halloween spell book you'll need to use an old book and alter it. For this project you can use any book you have - that means any language, size, page thickness etc. The only thing you must make sure is to use a hard cover book.
This is a great opportunity to use a book you no longer need or read.I have a problem with throwing books... so this is a great recycling moment!
HOT GLUE GUN
The hot glue gun in this project is used to make the spider web. If you don't have a hot glue gun you can use pieces of rope, wool or string. As long as the string is thick enough it will work.
I used a plastic skull on the cover of the Halloween spell book but you can use a skull in any material you have. Instead of the skull you can use any other Halloween embellishent like a cat, bat, eye, witch etc.
To add the texture to the cover I used paper towels. It's a cheap and common household item. You can also use a bandgae that you can get at the pharmacy or even toilet paper.
In order to attach the paper towels to the cover you need to use gel medium which is a strong glue and also a sealer. This will make sure that the texture of the paper towel is not flattened and it will also prepare it for the paint. Instead of gel medium you can use Mod Podge. This glue will also be used to attach all the book pages together.
- ACRYLIC PAINTS: any type of acrylic paints will work for this project. You'll need black and brown paints.
- METALLIC PAINTS: in order to highlight the spide webs you'll need metallic paints.
The best ink to use to add aged look to the Halloween spell book is brown Distress Ink - I used the Photo Vintage color but you can use any other color you have.
HOW TO MAKE THE HALLOWEEN SPELL BOOK
- To make this book cover you'll want to start from adding the spider web and skull. Attach the skull to the cover and "draw" spider webs with the hot glue gun. Let dry completely
- The next step is to add the paper towel to create texture on the cover. Apply gel medium to the cover and attach the paper towel. Apply gel medium on top of the paper towel while making sure it adheres to all the nukes and crannies in the spider's web. Cover the back side of the book as well.
- Paint the entire cover with black acrylic paint. Continue the painting towards the inside of the cover as well.
- Use your fingers or a small brush to add metallic paints to the raised spider's web pattern.
- Attach the first page to the left inside cover.
- Apply glue to ouside eges of all the book pages to combine them together. Let dry and attach to inside of right cover.
Here's the stepby step video tutorial to make the Halloween spell book cover.
Check out how to creat the inside of the spell book: PART 2
I've compiled a list of supplies you'll need for this project:
Sharing is caring - PIN IT!